Tuesday 10 July 2012

10 years of love and support

On Friday 6th July, Cat and I celebrated 10 years of married life. To mark the occasion, we went to a Cathedral Ceilidh, and flung each other about for a couple of hours. We then went on to spend a night in the luxurious surroundings of the marvellous Midland Hotel right in the city centre. It was a wonderful evening (thanks to babysitters!)

How my wife has put up with me over the years I'll never fully understand. All I know, is that without her enduring love and support, most of my campaigning and activities would have come to nothing.

I guess this simply gives me a chance to say that I love the institution of marriage, I think it is a beautiful thing, and it should be open to all who find love. On the Saturday morning (7th) a petition was handed in to General Synod called 'Not in our name'. It simply is a plea that the Church of England should not be fighting against the right of Gay people to 'get married'. Marriage is for all who find love and want to express that love before God and before community.

Those of us who have the privilege of enjoying married life, need to work harder to make sure that it is available to all. It is a great gift from God, and should be available to all created in the image of God. As I have often stated, most clergy I have met are looking forward to the day when they can perform Gay marriages. Let us embrace a forward thinking theology that constantly includes, and doesn't automatically exclude.

No comments:

Post a Comment